This year I was invited to my first cookie exchange!! Actually, I was invited to 4 cookie exchanges… yep, that’s a lot of cookies. So, what’s a girl to do? Say yes to all of them, of course! Luckily I don’t have any unrealistic expectations or anything so I decided to try my hand at Sugar Cookies… for the first time… with a recipe I had never used. Well, it was a Christmas miracle because they ended up being pretty darn good so I thought I would share the recipe with everyone! Let me know if you end up making them and how they turn out. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Model Mom’s Club – Sugar Cookies
Prep Time: 24 hours+ (refrigerate overnight)
Bake Time: 6-8 minutes
Yield: 5-6 dozen (depending on cut size and thickness)
- 1 ½ c softened butter (leave out on counter for 1+ hrs)
- 3 c white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
Workspace & Frosting:
- 2 bags (16-24c total) powdered sugar
- 4-6 sticks softened butter
- 4-6 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 c whipping cream
- *food coloring optional*
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in one egg at a time and then add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture until fully combined. Cover and chill dough for at least 2 hours (best to chill over night)
- Cover surface with parchment paper
- Coat parchment paper, rolling pin, and hands with powdered sugar and have a spare bowl for dipping cookie cutters and to work with dough. Take ½ of pre-chilled dough and knead into a ball using powdered sugar so it’s not sticky. Roll out to desired thickness & cut into shapes with cookie cutter.
- Place shapes onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper ** I did put the entire cookie sheet into the freezer for about 5 minutes and then stacked all frozen cookies in a container until all shapes were cut and frozen – this helps them stay soft when baking! **
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place frozen, cut-out cookies 1 inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes (until edges are just slightly browned – they will continue to cook on the sheet so don’t cook them too long!). Cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.
- Combine ½ c softened butter, 4 c powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla & ¼ c whipping cream (more may be needed) until thick but spreadable. Will probably need 3-4 batches for all cookies, but this way you can make several colors!
- Let the frosting “set” for at least 10 minutes before trying to stack. To be safe, you can put parchment or wax paper between the layers so they don’t stick together.
Enjoy!! Easy printable on AllRecipes: http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/64675851/best-christmas-sugar-cookies/
Please comment or email us to let us know how you liked them! Stay tuned for more delicious recipes! www.modelmomsclub.com